Monday, March 13, 2017

Yeah for Monday! Here's What I'm Reading...



I'm always on pins and needles on Monday...waiting to see what some of my favorite bloggers are reading, because, as we all know, we get our best recommendations from the really great teachers out in "Blogland!"

One of my absolute faves is the incomparable Carrie Gelson over at There's a Book for That.  Carrie's posts tell me that she's a kindred spirit...one of those teachers who are passionate about literacy and who totally enjoy matching the children they care about with amazing literature!

It was through her blog that I was turned on to these two gems that I plan on sharing with my students today:


Gus Gordon's little gem of a book captures city life and has such a great musical vibe...couple that with a sweet story of friendship and you've got a winner!  (Added bonus:  The cover looks like a jacket for a classic vinyl album!)


Oh man!  Where has this book been for the last nine years...and how come I've never heard of it? Pete and Pickles has the most whimsical illustrations PLUS the story.  Have I told you about this story?  It's been a long time since I cried while reading a children's book...yet here I am, admitting that this book had me sobbing.

Berkeley Breathed has created a magnificent story of friendship that is so clearly captivating...so beautiful...sigh.

This is one of those books that should be in every teacher's collection.


While were on the subject of great books about friendship, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Caron Levis's book, Ida, Always.  Such a heartwarming book about a friendship and the love between friends that never dies.  Yet another book that can leave me in tears during a read aloud...but so so so very wonderful!

Even better...right now, this sweet book is selling in hardcover on Amazon.com for $6.74.  This is a book that is perfect for picking up RIGHT NOW!  Do it.  You won't be sorry.  (Disclaimer:  I'm an Amazon.com junkie...if there's a 12-Step program for buying books, please keep this to yourself.  I don't want or need a cure.  Amazon.com...I love you!)


I'm always on the lookout for great nonfiction texts...and The Marvelous Thing That Came From a Spring:  The Accidental Invention of the Toy That Swept the Nation, by Gilbert Ford is just such a great book...super-interesting with some of the coolest illustrations I've ever seen.  Why oh why didn't we have such fun nonfiction text when I was a kid? 

Life's too short to not share amazing books with your students.  So...what are you reading to your students this week?

10 comments:

  1. Such a great array of books this week! I have to admit that Ida, Always might have just left me sniffling a bit - such a lovely story about friendship, loss and remembering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Jane! Ida, Always is just so beautiful in it's simplicity. So glad you stopped by to check out what I'm reading!

      Delete
  2. I've seen the Herman and Rosie book at the library for a long time--now you've convinced me to read it. And I remember when Slinkies first came out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Herman and Rosie is one of those books that doesn't really jump out at you right away...the illustrations are sweet and really timeless, but they don't scream. But the story is sheer loveliness! You won't be disappointed Iron Guy Carl! (Love the name, by the way!) Thanks for stopping in and hanging out with me and the books. And...if you can remember Slinky coming out, you've got to check out the book. It's truly MARVELOUS!

      Delete
  3. I haven't read Pete and Pickles but if Carrie says it is good, then of course it is! For all kinds of reasons, I am not a fan of Ida Always. (Those poor bears had to be given prozac because their habitat was so unsuitable for them) Like Carl, I too remember when slinkies first came out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheriee...agreed. Carrie has unbelievable taste in literature! Pete and Pickles is one of those books that truly "takes your breath away." I think the unexpected in a book is what truly adds to the beauty of the whole reading experience. Give Pete and Pickles a try and let me know what you think! Thanks so much for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found out about Pete & Pickles (also late in my game) thanks to Carrie!! She's a super star for certain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed Nicole! Carrie has great taste in books! Glad you joined in the conversation!

      Delete
  6. Oh you have two of my favourites here. I can't read Pete and Pickles without tearing up, one of my absolute favourites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Myra! This is one of those texts that truly blows me away...and reading this aloud is tricky because I'm a weeper! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete