Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Technology Tuesday

I love, love, love, love LOVE my Smartboard to itty bitty pieces!  It is turned on at the start of every school day and it isn't turned off until the last little honey is long out the door.

I use it for everything...all the time.  The trick is to keep things interesting and yet...simple.  I do use my Smartboard's gallery features like the "timer."  However, these get old in a hurry.  The design style is predictable and, once I start the timer, the kids become so focused on how much time is left that they often neglect the really great super amazing task that I have planned.

Enter Steep It.  This is actually a tea timer that you can set for any amount of time.  Why would I use a tea timer?  (I actually am a huge hater of tea!)

Well...Steep It is very visual.  Yes, there is a numerical timer, but there is also visual feature that does appeal to my students.  As time passes, the color of the screen changes and gets DARKER, just like a cup of tea that is steeping.  Get it?   When time is up, a cheerful little ring (think Grandma's kitchen timer) goes off, signaling for the end of the task.

So...why not dash on over to http://steep.it/ and check this sweet little timer out for yourself?


8 comments:

  1. Love this idea! You should share it with the Technology Tailgate blog. Check out this website to submit your idea: http://technologytailgate.blogspot.com/2012/06/welcome.html

    I think it should be shared :)

    Patti
    One Class, One Sound

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patti! Actually, I am a "coach" at Technology Tailgate and I love the site. I just published this there as per your suggestion. Thanks again and I look forward to sharing more with you! P.S. Love your blog!

      Delete
    2. Oops ;)
      I was so excited to find that blog! Love finding new technology to use within my class! Great idea to have a place dedicated to technology!!!

      Patti

      Delete
  2. I love this and ADORE my Smartboard! Once, it was having issues and I couldn't use it for a week and I went cray cray! =)

    I am a new follower to your blog and would love for you to hop over and visit me when you get the chance. =)


    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nikki -
    Just found you and am your newest follower. Wish I had a smart board... :o( we do all have mac laptops and doc cameras but no smartboards...maybe someday.
    Vicky
    Traditions, Laughter and Happily Ever After

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of the smart board getting darker as time passes! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am nominating you for the One Lovely Blog award!

    -Dani
    A Place to Thrive

    ReplyDelete
  6. خدمات منزلية بأرخص الأسعار عالية الدقة قمة التميز في إختيار ماكينات التنظيف أيادي عاملة خبرة منذ سنوات كافة عوامل النجاح تتوفر في شركة التميز الجنوبي يمكنكم التتبع والتواصل معنا عبر الروابط التالية :.شركة مكافحة حشرات بابها
    شركة تنظيف منازل بابها
    شركة تنظيف فلل بابها
    شركة تنظيف خزانات بابها
    شركة تنظيف بابها




    ReplyDelete